2011 NHL Entry Draft

Thursday, March 24, 2011

I'm A Nerd: Starcraft II



So after years of wait the sequel to the popular starcraft was finally released. Despite the build up I was surprised to see how few of the original starcraft players not only play but try the new game. Not only are the graphics MUCH better but it has a great single player option. Actually, from everyone that I've talked to, they were impressed with the single player but really let down on the multiplayer. Despite not being able to fully play a campaign as the Protoss or Zerg in single player their were a lot of cool options. First, you are able to upgrade your units based on the research that you have done. This means that the the vespene gas would be able to collect itself ot that bunkers would have secret turrets hiding on top. Your upgrades would actually even determine which units you would have all together. If starcraft goes forward I would love to see the multiplayer reflect these upgrades and make it so that each player has a unique series of research that would make for interesting matches. Here is a quick video that demonstrates a few of the units:



If this game was as good multiplayer as it was single player it would easily be the best game on the market. Having said that, the UMS maps were very limited and playing with other people IMO was a huge hassle. One very important part of SC2 is that the graphics can be played on a very low quality or have state of the art graphics. This means that you usually run into players that have very bad lagg and aren't running the game on optimal settings. Even though the multiplayer gameplay was similar to that of the original, I was expecting more. I really like the void ray's in the new game and could really like a lot more of the new units.

Unfortunately for me I only recommend the single player and am still waiting on the UMS maps before I go and play this online. I do have to say though, I really liked the unlocking and achievements aspect in SC2.

No comments:

Post a Comment