2011 NHL Entry Draft

Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Look Back: 2010 Draft Rankings


(picture courtesy of viewfrommyseats.com)

With all the mock drafts going around, I decided to repost my draft rankings from last year. Obviously I am going to hear about how I had Seguin over Hall and I am just going on record to say that I said that Hall would be the better player out of the gates. He was clearly more dyanmic but it remains to be seen if Seguin will turn into a highly touted number one center.

Hall will probably be the better the player between the two studs for quite a few years. He's dynamic, explosive on his feet and has no fear in his game. He can block shots and score goals. To be fair, Hall couldn't have done anything else to increase his stock this year outside demand a trade and take some noname team and take it all the way to memorial cup. He is much more polished and will step right into the NHL next year. He is the best player right now and the top spot is his to lose.


Anyways, I think that overall my previous draft rankings were pretty solid. I was able to pull of 24 of the 30 players selected in the first round. Those numbers might not seem the greatest off the bat, but consider these points for a second:

1. Tyler Toffoli is currently 3rd in OHL scoring.
2. Alex Petrovic is 7th for scoring amongst a defenceman in the WHL.
3. Jonathan Merrill has 7 goals and 15 assists for 22 points to lead U. of Michigan amongst defencemen.
4. Calvin Pickards record went from 16-34-7 to 27-31-3 this year. He has already faced 2366 shots on net. His 0.916S% is pretty much on pare with Mark Visentin's 0.918S%.

As far as Brad Ross and John McFarland go, both can bounce back. McFarland has world class talent but has yet to turn thing around with Saginaw. He was still selected 33rd overall. Ross on the other hand is what he is. He won't be anything special but will be an effective pest at the next level. But enough talk, I should probably post the rankings. (My rankings can be found here: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=780117). A few things that I am really pround of:

1. I had Jeffrey Skinner ranked 8th despite TSN having him ranked 22nd, CSS having him ranked as the 34th NA skater, and THN ranked as 25th overall. The highest I have seen was ISS ranking him as 9th.

2. I stuck with Fowler in the number three spot despite everyone falling in love with Gudbrandon. Well it looks like Fowler is playing in Ahaheim while Gudbranson is struggling in the OHL.

3. I ranked Ryan Johansen ahead of the popular "El Nino". The big lanky center remains higher on prospect lists and was even taken higher then his swiss counterpart on draft day. But at 4th overall I was surprised to see him go for someone who needed another year in the WHL.

4. Jaden Schwartz was taken 14th overall and Joey Hishon was taken 17th overall. I like to think I called both of these guys as Schwartz was ranked 28th, 29th, 23rd and 30th respectively. Meanwhile Hishon was constantly ranked in the second round.

No comments:

Post a Comment